Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing 3 Post

RSS

I've been using Bloglines for a very long time. I tried Google Reader, but found that the options for organizing were not as good, so I went back to Bloglines. I've got basically 3 folders: library blogs, management blogs, and personal blogs. I once had a lot more categories, but found that I was spending an extraordinary amount of time obsessing about the categories, so just went back to 3.

I think that this 23 Things task is important for 2 reasons:
1. It's important for us as professionals in the library field to keep up on readings. Drawing together regularly read is a real time saver.
2. I think that it's important for libraries that write blogs to promote their RSS feed, and suggest it be added to the aggregators of city administrators, county commissioners, etc. Many newspapers have a section on their website to pull in the syndicated feeds of local bloggers. (Multitype Librarian is part of the "Local Bloggers" section of the Rochester Post Bulletin/begun when I used to live there.)

No comments: